Total Pageviews

Monday, June 11, 2012

4.30 gears again WARNING DON"T DO IT!!!!

**UPDATED WARNING!!  ISUZU DANA 44 GEARS, CARRIERS, AND HOUSINGS
ARE PROPRIETARY AND **CANNOT** BE INSTALLED IN JEEP, SCOUT, FORD, DODGE, CHEVY HOUSINGS WITHOUT MASSIVE MACHINING***

This IS a relief to me that I'm NOT crazy because I couldn't set up the gears.  The shops top
builder messed with it for hours and called dana corp direct.  It turns out dana built the 44 for isuzu, but to accomidate the thick gears it had a special carrier and housing.  Isuzus housing moves the pinion about 1/2" further away to compensate for the thick gears.

I'm estimating that this little factoid that the gear seller off of ebay ("yea it will work in all dana 44's") didn't disclose cost me about $400 in tools, gears, and unknown cost on time.

I'm on the hunt for some 4.56ish thick gears now.... otherwise new carriers are in order.
I'm also going to send dip**** on ebay a line to tell him he screwed me.


The 33mpg honda fit parts car to the rescue again. 
luckily I didn't get full size axles, because @54" long the housing "fit" in just right. rdrr.

If you have been looking through this blog at all, you'll notice that I started this major undertaking in March.
I found a couple shops in the metroplex that could set up an axle for the cost of the
tools to do it at home.  Unfortunately I already blew the money for the tools at home, and after
banging my head against these things for mucho hours trying to get them right,
I'll gladly pay an expert to do it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment